Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Yarn Swap, Alpaca and Mittens

Well! I got a very nice surprize in the mail today. (Two actually, but one was a pound of roving that I knew was coming, so that wasnt completely a surprize.) You see, a while back I signed on to be part of a yarn swap Basically, person A spins a (3.5 oz) skein of yarn for person B, person B spins one for person C, etc. We get to see who were making the yarn for, but have no idea whos making one for us. Im very much a pessemist sometimes and thought that surely I would be paired up with the one person who wouldnt spin a skein of yarn. But (*YIPPIE*) I got a person who not only spun a skein, its the most wonderful, funky, and fabulous skein of yarn Ive ever held in my hands!!! I ADORE IT!!! Looky---->


*dances* I lurve it!! Though I have no idea when Ill be able to convince myself that I can knit with it and not totally ruin it. Im just going to stare at it for a while.

Last year I bought myself some alpaca fiber to spin. Ive finally finished it! The first skein came out nice (it spun up wicked easy), but this second one, I even impressed myself a little, heehee! Its the most even Ive ever spun. Also pretty thin for me. Its a two ply worsted (alsmot a sport weight). Its soft and a really wonderful warm brown color.
I ve also been working on the fingerless mittens for Shane. Theyre coming along nicely. I tried to take some pics tonight, but they came out terrible. Its night and I had to use the flash. Ill try again in the daylight. All I have left to do are the flaps!


Over a year ago I bought the book Stitch'n'Bitch. Theres a gorgeous pair of fingerless mittens in there. It calls for two balls of Noro something or other. So we headed out to the LYS and I bought the colors I liked. Well, I get home and am knitting away and soon realize that one ball is a continuous piece of yarn but the other is three tied together. The colors dont match up and I end up with one perfectly colored mitten, green to purple to yellow to orange. The other one I didnt even bother knitting because the colors woudlnt match up, it would drive me crazy! I threw the lot in a drawer and tried to forget about them. But while knitting Shanes mittens, I was almost obsessively thinking of my failed Noro mittens. So I got the one out and re-examined the yarn to see if I could piece it together to at least sort of match the finished one. No go! No amount of splicing would make it come close to being a mate. Ive decided that I must go bat to the LYS and scour their Noro yarn for one ball that will pair up with my finished thing.



I...must...finish...them...



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

1) That yarn is GORGEOUS! WOW what a talented spinner your secret pal is.

2) those gloves are awesome! gee I wish Noro was easy to get here.

Anonymous said...

Saw your post on Spindlers about the yarn and I love it! Very fun and creative.

Anonymous said...

Love the yarn. Love the gloves. Love the raw wool you have a couple posts down :)

Leah said...

The swap yarn is very very cool ~ I've seen skeins like that for sale and they go for a fortune so enjoy it :)

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous Alpaca yarn! Great job.

On the Noro, that is a very common complaint. Considering how much they charge for it, demand a refund.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jes your swap yarn is great you can just put it round your neck as jewellery! And your alpaca is beautiful. Well done!!!!
Helga in Iceland

Erin said...

Saw your post on Spindlers (it's been years since I was more than a lurker). While the yarn is very pretty, I just wanted to warn you that this sort of yarn is often produced without any intention of it being turned into something else. At the very least you should be aware that such an over-twisted (in the sense that it isn't what would be called a balanced yarn technically) yarn will create quite a bias in any knit fabric. As long as you are aware of this, you should be fine.

With the flowers and such, you will also find it difficult to work with but I'm sure you'll figure something out!

Plucky-fluff type yarn is often impossible to work with and is just yarn for the sake of having yarn.